Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Writing or Selling?

I think I can write, but I know I can’t sell – it’s just not in my DNA, but all jobs require it.
There are people who can sell you any garbage they want to (an especially prevalent skill set in politics) but I can’t sell anything, even if I know you’re looking for it. This can be a problem, because all jobs require selling. It starts at the very beginning when you apply for a job – you’re trying to sell your services to an employer, and the more adept you are at selling, the more likely the sale will happen (you’ll be hired) and the more likely it is that the pay will increase with each negotiation.
I guess that’s why I also hate job-searching – the process doesn’t play to my strengths.
In addition, throughout your tenure, opportunities will come up to convince (sell) your employer, co-workers, and customers on ideas and decisions. This is why salesmen are always in demand.
We sell throughout life – securing a spouse, negotiating what game we’re playing with friends, what kind of pizza (there is no other type of food, right?) we’re going to order, what house, what town, what …
After 2-1/2 years of indie publishing without generating a lot of sales volume, I’ve decided to give Kindle Select a test drive on a couple of my stories (“Anti-Social” and “Reconcilable Differences”.) I resisted doing this before, because it means that the stories I put in the Kindle Select program can’t be sold ANYWHERE ELSE. As Dean Wesley Smith says, it makes no sense to limit your sales to ONLY Amazon.
However, Amazon puts a huge pool of money out there to distribute among the eBooks that are borrowed through the Kindle Lending Library or other Amazon programs – even if someone only reads 10% of one, the author gets a share of that money. This may work into a more profitable use of “free” giveaways than my ill-fated attempts at free earlier this year.
We’ll see whether it works – the eBooks need to stay in the program for 90 days. Who knows – it might bring in a little more money, maybe even generate a little more traffic to my other publications. Obviously, just writing isn’t enough – I have to find ways to sell.
Now, I’m not blind to the possibility that I don’t know how to write anything interesting enough to buy. But as POOR A SALESMAN as I am, the fact that anyone has bought stories from me… well, I MUST be writing something worth reading.
Just saying…
<<<>>> 

William Mangieri’s writing (including his latest ePublication: “Close Enough”) can be found in many places, such as:

Connect with him on Facebook at:   http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink

No comments:

Post a Comment