Monday, September 15, 2014

WHAT AM I WRITING TODAY

What does that title mean? Is it:
“What am I writing today?” (What topic will I write about?)
This is something that has recurred to me quite often over the decades, but even more so now in this age of emails and texts and tweets and LOLs. Our lives are being hosed by a flood of information, and it’s getting harder and harder to distinguish the important things from the junk.
“What? Am I writing today?” (Is this the day I’m supposed write? Am I going to?)
What period (pun intended) am I in? I’m not used to this undefined mass of characters – it makes my brain have to work harder to make sense of things. Misspelling (deliberate or otherwise) can be confusing, but usually you can understand whether they meant THEIR or THERE or THEY’RE. But my life needs structure- it must be full of question marks… and ellipses, if I’m going to get it right.
“What am I, writing today?” (What kind of person am I, to write on today, of all days?)
One of the hardest things about talking to people when they aren’t in the room with you is you lose a lot of subtext and intent that is conveyed through visuals – there is more meaning than just what the words carry.  A phone call loses part of this subtext, but at least you can still hear the punctuation accompanying the spoken words (most of us humans DO still use inflection when we speak.)
 “What am I writing? Today.” (What topic am I writing? Not tomorrow, but now.)
140 characters just doesn’t cut it – the punctuation is the first to go, and with it clarity. People who think that they know exactly that they’ve captured all the possible meanings in that text message they received also are the kind who think that they really can multi-task. Without single-minded focus, something is always missed.
 “What? Am I writing? Today?” (What are you asking me? You want to know if I’m writing? Today, or when?)
We need punctuation in our lives – something that helps us filter through everything and understand what it all means – the important parts. There are no shortcuts that give you a truer insight into what’s going on.
#whatamiwritingtoday
Really? A can of alphabet soup is not an effective form of communication.
Just saying…
<<<>>> 

William Mangieri’s writing (including his latest ePublication: “The Red Barrens”) can be found in many places, such as:
Connect with him on Facebook at:   http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink


No comments:

Post a Comment