Monday, June 23, 2014

Looking for Redemption

Why am I writing about returning empty soft drink bottles? What does anyone care? They’re all used up. Yet I see one by the side of the road when I’m out walking and I think “That bottle still has something to do. It can be recycled. Redeemed.”

Of course, bottles aren’t people – they can’t redeem themselves – they need it to be done TO them. You can’t do this to people (Soylent Green being the exception, but I believe there are better uses of people than that. Most people, anyway.)

We aren’t just containers to be recycled – we are what’s IN the container. When we redeem ourselves, it’s that inside that changes. Sometimes our lives seem out of our control, and (much worse) pointless. It can be a long, hard slog, and it’s easy to fall prey to doubts about our own purpose (whatever that may be), and whether we’re truly living our life to it’s fullest – being the best we can be.

We all need inspiration. My favorite movies all seem to have a thread of REDEMPTION running through them – Invincible, A Knight’s Tale, It’s a Wonderful Life, Lord of the Rings – even Galaxy Quest. I know I’m not alone in this, which means to me that there are lots of us feeble, faltering, fallible, fault-filled humans (why doesn’t human start with “f”?) looking for that same reassurance, that, yes, William, a man can change his stars.
Just saying….
<<<>>> 

William Mangieri’s writing (including his latest ePublication “Broken Down: Detective Jimmy Delaney Collection #1”) can be found in many places, such as:
·         His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
Connect with him on Facebook at:   http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink

No comments:

Post a Comment