Monday, December 8, 2014

Wishing Isn’t Doing

Less than a month to go before the traditional NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS. Is there something you have been saying that you WISH you could do, but you just can’t seem to get to it? Time to GET SERIOUS examine why not.
If I had pulled out my trumpet for just 5 minutes every week, I would be a better player now than I was when I stopped 36 years ago. The more concentrated the time, the better – if all those 5 minute sessions were put together, I could put in four full-time weeks (40 hours/week) and would be even better then.
When I write, I need an hour to get a decent amount of words on paper. I can’t hit my stride on less than 5 days writing each week – less degrades my speed. There is an almost exponential increase in output – the longer I write in one sitting, the more words per minute I get. The same applies the more often I write per week. There is degradation of performance with any hiatus – small or large.
There are still three weeks before the end of this year, but I know I’m not going to make my goals. Things happen to derail us from reaching our objectives sometimes, and it’s hard not to get discouraged, but no amount of complaining about a lack of time will change the situation. Only practice makes (closer to) perfect. Just do it -  practice what you preach.
If wishes were horses then beggars would ride. If wishes were fishes we’d all cast nets. Wishing “If only I had more time” is about as effective, and should be stricken from my vocabulary. 
Nothing that’s worth doing happens on its own. That novel won’t write itself. The mountain really WON’T come to Mohammed. Good things may come to those who wait, but they don’t just sit on their hands while they’re “waiting” – they’re working toward their goal. Pick up YOUR dreams and get to work.
Just saying…
<<<>>> 
William Mangieri’s writing (including his latest ePublication “New Antiques”) can be found in many places, such as:

Connect with him on Facebook at:   http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink


No comments:

Post a Comment