Monday, July 14, 2014

Salesman(wor)ship

I’m not a salesman.
In my youth I tried selling door to door (not my idea – a family home/ business.) I was never comfortable with walking up to someone’s door and bothering them to try to get them to buy something.
In my late teens, I applied for an advertised office job and was told that the job had been filled, but they did “happen to have” some sales openings. I spent a week training to sell Filter Queen vacuum cleaners (this shows you how in short supply good salesmen are – they have to trick people into trying the position.) It was a really good vacuum, and if I’d had $400 (in the late ‘70’s) and needed a vacuum cleaner I would have bought it, but asking other people to buy one just wasn’t working for me.
I could probably sell something in a store – but that’s only because people are coming in intending to buy. That’ not really selling – it’s just customer service. A real salesman would know how to get the people to come into the store in the first place.
I was thinking about the woeful state of my ePublishing sales. Yeah, I’ve only been trying this for a couple of years, and I’m supposed to be patient and watch those sales figures slowly climb as I build up stock (stories) on my shelves, but I don’t think it’s happening the way it’s supposed to.
It could just be that my product isn’t any good, but I don’t think that’s it; I’ve gotten close enough to a “traditional publisher” sale on some of my stories to merit a personal (instead of form) rejection. If quality was all that mattered, it should translate into sales – not into the drought that 2014 is turning into.
Fact is, there’s A LOT of product out in the market, and A LOT of competition. It isn’t just the ability to write – I have to be able to SELL that writing; show someone that I have stories out there, and convince them that they want to read them.
This adds to my conclusion that SALESMEN ARE GODS.
This may just be how our culture works, but I think it’s something more tightly bound into human nature, and explains why CAPITALISM is ultimately the fairest and most productive economic system. People decide what they want and what they are willing to buy / sell for what price. Someone who can sell can influence the process.
But it’s not just about goods.
Who can get buy-in? Collaboration (pulling groups of people together for a common goal) counts on somehow getting these people to cooperate. Historically, this used to be done this by force of arms or religion (some places still do it this way), but there is a built-in resistance, a less than 100% effort given, when you coerce people. In the modern world (USA, anyway), we count on our salesmen to convince people that either we have what they want or they want what we’re selling. In every transaction, every relationship, we have to be able to sell – our ideas, our desires, our product.
(Politics IS sales.) Life is a big bartering session, and if you want something, you have to be able to convince the other party that they want what you have to offer, too. A good salesman finds the WIN-WIN to make it happen.

I want money in my pocket. You want to be entertained. I have a story you’d be willing to pay to read. There; that should work.

Just saying….
<<<>>> 

William Mangieri’s writing (including his latest ePublication “The Re-Entanglement of Grant Decker”) can be found in many places, such as:
·         His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY

Connect with him on Facebook at:   http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink

No comments:

Post a Comment