Monday, January 13, 2014

Who Am I, and How Did I Get Here?

When I was five, I wanted to be a fire fighter (or a soldier; I know I wanted to fight something…) Then as I progressed through school, I decided I wanted to be an oceanographer (this is WAY BACK when Jacques Cousteau was cool.) All of these professions had one thing in common – they had nothing to do with my experience, they were just something I thought I’d like to do, with no connection to my reality.
I read all about snakes and insects when I was under 12, I caught snakes and watched ant colonies battle with each other whenever I could, but neither one called to me as a profession. I loved math when I was in grade school and junior high (not so much now) - enough that it carried me through getting my Computer Science degree when I went back to school the second time. Although I did have a passion about these things, they were all more interesting than occupational.
I started playing brass instruments in 4th grade – trumpet, French horn, E-flat horn, alto horn, trombone. Played around with piano and guitar a little. Over the last thirty years, almost all of my musical endeavors went away from instrumentals and into singing (karaoke and grocery stores – listen for me.) For the first time in decades, I knocked the rust off my trumpet and my lip last week, and was surprised how much I remember. This year, I hope to teach myself the harmonica (thank you, Taylor Hicks.)
I actually thought I might become a professional musician until the acting bug caught hold in 9th grade. That dream carried me through a couple of years with the Tewksbury Teen Theatre Workshop, high school and my first three years at Richland College for thirty shows or so. I think I was pretty good, but didn’t have enough determination to continue auditioning beyond college (you may be able to play a 60-year old when everyone in school is your age, but when you’re out in the real world, you’re competing against REAL 60-year olds. Come to think of it, I’m almost one of them now; I wonder…)   
Throughout my life I’ve been a dilettante – a jack-of-all-trades (and master of none. I’ve made a shirt and pants, costumes, designed a set, directed a couple of times, decorated a goose egg, done some non-competitive distance running, war gamed, played indoor soccer (I wish THAT had been non-competitive), cooked, wrote music, sketched, juggled, and done countless things well enough to say I have without doing them well enough to get paid, Learned some French and a smattering of Russian, but don’t remember either anymore.
I’ve been in I.T. for a quarter of a century now. I didn’t start out trying to get there, and I did go back to school for some of it, but strangely, I can find ways that almost everything I’ve listed above has come into play in my current occupation, either by directly contributing to my skills, or giving me a different way of looking at things that let me see patterns others didn’t, and added to my personal value on the job and what I can contribute to a team.
None of us knew when we were born what we would become. We don’t decide at age five what we’ll be doing at age thirty (I think most of us don’t know the answer much better when we graduate from college.) And yet, somehow, we get there – and everything we have been informs what we are.
I’ve been writing (seriously) for at least a couple of years now. Lots of odd things come out on my pages, and all of these things had to have come from SOMEWHERE. Alien abductions, ghosts, mutations, murders, extra-dimensional hitchhikers… everything in them came into my mind somehow. You be the judge…

William Mangieri’s writing can be found many places, including:
Connect with him on Facebook at:   http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink


No comments:

Post a Comment